Department of Pharmaceuticals, under the Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers came into being w.e.f. 1st July 2008. The work of the Department has been divided into three Divisions viz.Pharmaceuticals Industry Division, Public Sector Undertakings Division and R& D Division comprising of National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research (NIPER) and Research & Development.
The National Pharmaceuticals Pricing Authority, an attached office of this Department is entrusted with the work of fixation and revision of prices of pharmaceuticals products under Drug Price Control Order 2013.
- To give greater focus and thrust on the development of pharmaceutical sector in the country
- To regulate various complex issues related to pricing and availability of medicines at affordable prices,
- Research & development, protection of intellectual property rights and international commitments related to pharmaceutical sector which required integration of work with other ministries.
Following works have been allocated to the Department of Pharmaceuticals:
- Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, excluding those specifically allotted to other departments.
- Medical Devices – Industry issues relating to promotion, production and manufacture; excluding those specifically allotted to other Departments.
- Promotion and co-ordination of basic, applied and other research in areas related to the pharmaceutical sector.
- Development of infrastructure, manpower and skills for the pharmaceutical sector and management of related information.
- Education and training including high end research and grant of fellowships in India and abroad, exchange of information and technical guidance on all matters relating to pharmaceutical sector.
- Promotion of public – private – partnership in pharmaceutical related areas.
- International co-operation in pharmaceutical research, including work related to international conferences in related areas in India and abroad.
- Inter-sectoral coordination including coordination between organizations and institutes under the Central and State Governments in areas related to the subjects entrusted to the Department.
- Technical support for dealing with national hazards in pharmaceutical sector.
- All matters relating to National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority including related functions of price control/monitoring.
- All matters relating to National Institutes for Pharmacy Education and Research.
- Planning, development and control of, and assistance to, all industries dealt with by the Department.
- Bengal Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Hindustan Antibiotics Limited.
- Indian Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Karnataka Antibiotics and Pharmaceuticals Limited.
- Rajasthan Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited.